Front Splits... on a Budget! | Flexines: Front Splits... on a Budget!

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Front Splits... on a Budget!

Let's face it, budgeting comes with a lot of making things work.

I like to get online and research free resources--it's amazing what a wealth of information there is. Just bear in mind that it is worth digging deeper for reliable information before you commit to any flexibility routines.

Here are two of my favorites:

  • Partial Front Splits Tutorial by Kit Laughlin
  • Front Splits Stretching by Dirdy Birdy



I found the first video really helpful as far as tips--so far I have not had a nice stretching time when my partner is available to square me. How neat is that little slider! I just pictured slipping on those shiny paperback books I used to leave all over my room as a kid and lo and behold, it made a nice substitute slider for stretching on carpet. Notice the contractions Laughlin has his student do; at the time that I started using this video for flexy tips I didn't realize it but he's using those muscle movements for resistance. It's PNF Stretching!

What I love about both of these videos is that they train for the splits in positions most similar to the splits. It makes sense--if you are a runner (bear with me if you hate running) and are training for an even in which you'll have to run uphill, then you should definitely make sure your runs feature a hilly terrain. If you want to beat your friend in an arm wrestling match, you will train with movements that simulate arm wrestling rather than doing tricep extensions. So to for front splits you want to move your legs... like they would if you were doing a front split.

Correct me if needed, but I think the bouncing movement should be avoided. In all of my reading I have found that bouncing triggers the "stretch reflex;" your muscles' tense in response to a perceived possible injury. Each time you go up and then back down you need to relax into a passive stretch and overcome the stretch reflex again. Instead I relax, breathe, wait for the stretch reflex (slight pain and tensing) to recede and breathe down more. Don't push to hard all at once and remember that slow stretching and short, repeated stretches will do more good than getting down fast or pushing the same stretch too long. I love this second video because she does a very good job demonstrating how to slide into front splits in a way that people like me who haven't nailed the splits completely can do some of the intermediate steps.

The beauty of it is that you don't need a lot of equipment and the items you would need or would help can be substituted by household items. (In one of my next posts I'll show you my re-purposed speaker yoga blocks and how I use them!) Feel free to comment on these tips/videos below :)

No comments:

Post a Comment