Weekend Crush: Anastasia Skukhtorova | Flexines: Weekend Crush: Anastasia Skukhtorova

Friday, March 8, 2013

Weekend Crush: Anastasia Skukhtorova

Welcome to the first of a series of blog posts we are calling our "Weekend Crush." Every weekend we will blog about someone notable for fitness or flexibility, why they inspire us, and, occasionally, have stolen our flexy loving hearts.


Anastasia's Pole Art 2011 video was featured in the little YouTube stalker-like "recommended for you" column. She was my first definition of poling, with tricks, and she is the first one that made me love pole dance. (Emotioncatcher made me want pole dance and believe it was possible.)

The United Pole Artist's Professional Pole Dancer of June 2010 told UPA she would love to see pole in the Olympics--that's exactly what I thought of when I saw her perform. She reminds me of my favorite figure skaters. (I know this is a very contentious topic; I personally have not yet made up my mind which side I'm on but you can feel free to comment below.)

She deeply believes in pole dance as an art form. She posted on Facebook saying, 
"I'm so disappointed with russian tv news. Why do they always want to film me in heels and almost nude? Why dont you want to film amazing tricks, power and flexibility, to break the stereotype, to show to russian world that pole dancing is an art, a beautiful, powerful art that takes your breath."

Well said. And also--geez--how endearing is her Russian accent?? It comes through so adorably, even in text. But, anyways! Skuhtorova has been told she dances like a ballerina on a pole, which surprises her since she has never done ballet. She reflected that it might come from deep inside, and it shows. When she dances, you can see she pours herself into it, making her body and the pole into living art.



^ Check out the ending where she nonchalantly folds in half and smiles demurely, with her feet hanging over her head. Didn't I tell you she is crazy adorable?  


My favorite video of hers is one that I found via YouTube stalking me (a la recommendation) recently. It does an excellent job of showcasing her polerina side and astounding flexibility. One of my favorite things about it is that her costume is very much like a traditional dancer's would be; something like a lyrical dance or even figure skating look. I love the pole costumes and tried-and-true pole shorts and top but this outfit sings to me.




Check out the full video below. Disclaimer: you will have a sudden, undeniable need to get a barre. Like fast. And you will fantasize about matching barre-and-pole combinations. Just sayin'. View with caution:







1 comment:

  1. I love the crazy pole moves she always gets into! She is one of my flexy inspirations!

    ReplyDelete