PNF Time! Part 1: Intro | Flexines: PNF Time! Part 1: Intro

Saturday, December 22, 2012

PNF Time! Part 1: Intro

The mouthful version: Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation
(Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!)

Lol : )

Those familiar with stretching terms will immediately recognize those, but for everyone else, this is a way to work a deeper, more effective stretch. Or so they say.
Pre game stretch
"Pre game stretch" (c) 2010 by Lululemon Athletica
CC Attribution 2.0 License
So what does that mean?


From the very basic research I've done, PNF is based on the principle of using muscle contraction to increase flexibility. This differs from "regular" stretching, more formally called "static stretching," where you relax and s t r e t c h.
Something about engaging your muscles (check out my highly technical interpretation at right) works with your nerves and your brain helping you get just that much further. Intriguing, isn't it?

This Part 1 post is meant as a brief intro for those like me that are just learning about PNF and a preview for those that have more experience with it. I will continue my research, like a good Flexine :) , and write further on the topic and report back how it works for me.

Interested? Feel free to subscribe by email or RSS feed at the bottom right corner of the page or simply click back next week for more flexy fun and inspiration!

**Update: I've posted my findings at PNF Time! Part 2 :)

No comments:

Post a Comment