3 Yoga Poses That Perfectly Match Molecular Structures | Flexines: 3 Yoga Poses That Perfectly Match Molecular Structures

Wednesday, December 23, 2015

3 Yoga Poses That Perfectly Match Molecular Structures



3 Yoga Poses that perfectly match Molecular Structures






















Visual learner + Yoga Poses + Chemistry = ...

I've been thinking of how to work with the theme of "stretching the limits of expression"--because I definitely need a fancy (read: DIY) logo. Wouldn't it be awesome to make a play on the word "limit" as in Calculus? Oh, don't worry, I'm not a Calculus nerd. Yet. This concept definitely pushes me in that direction.


I vaguely remember something about limits and Calculus... and that infinity symbol. I adore the pants off the infinity symbol. Not even years working retail jewelry could kill that (seriously, can we pick a new fad yet?). So in honor of my analytical love for impossible subjects (read: Calculus, Chemistry) I'm playing with going in that direction. Enter... molecular models!

The 3 Perfect Molecular Models in Yoga


I had the random opportunity to get a discounted student molecular model set so I could share a review and this is the result. I found that these three structures are perfectly represented in yoga: linear, bent, and tetrahedral. This is my favorite proof to me to cave in and do more yoga. Well, after the fact that one of my fave people on Earth is an acro yoga superstar now.




The good, the bad, the lovely:


I love that there is no wasted space with this model--it's exactly what you need to get building. I haven't tutored Chemistry in what feels like forever now but I always come back to trying to explain models to laypeople--words cannot describe how hard to explain or understand these are without a 3D model. 

One improvement I wish for is for someone to come up with a molecular model that doesn't hurt my fingertips. Desk life + pull plastic = good thing there's a removal tool! This one is much easier on the fingers than the models we used in high school and college so clearly it's just part of making models that stay together.  

My favorite part? The double bonds are not insanely long! I *loathed* those silly spider-leg-long bonds I used in school. (If you forgot double bonds are shorter than single in real life but this rule is broken in molecular models, worse in some than in others.)

What do you nerd out on?


Do you have a love for Chemistry? Or maybe writing? I think the coolest people to know have some kind of intellectual passion... but then maybe I'm biased. ;) Leave a comment below and tell me what you get super cerebral about, I want to know!

Remember to subscribe and stay inspired!

Music by: Joywave




No comments:

Post a Comment