Weekend Crush: Mirai Nagasu | Flexines: Weekend Crush: Mirai Nagasu

Friday, October 11, 2013

Weekend Crush: Mirai Nagasu

Mirai Nagasu (c) The Skating Club of Boston
CC Attribution 2.0 License


















There is something particularly serene about Mirai Nagasu.  Maybe that's why she tends to skate a pretty clean program, well at least compared to my first love in figure skating. Her laybacks are very elegant--there is definitely some flexy to love there! (See clip below from the 2013 Finlandia Trophy.)






I first noticed her, I have to admit, simply because she was one of the many skaters performing before Sasha Cohen for the 2006 Winter Olympics at Turin. Her style is less over-the-top ambitious which to me fits nicely with her age (although at twenty she is not really so young as far as figure skaters go) and is probably another reason she tends to keep her feet about her. At the same time you can just tell she is at peace on the ice. My favorite part? She tends to match her movements to the music. My biggest pet peeve in figure skating and dance is that most will choose a song as a back drop and then move to a completely different tempo without coordinating any tricks to the music. I love how she gets into this song around 3:44 doing just that.

Maybe it's just me but it seems like all her performance costumes have some sort of rhinestone or glitter design? Nothing like a little sparkle power! She even seems to have improved her flexibility a bit since Turin. (That spin that looks like a standing split is looking a bit bendier.) Mirai is the most adorable skater on our U.S. team, hands down. I hope we continue to see more of Mirai!


No comments:

Post a Comment