Fitness Shopping: Credit Cards are Your Friends | Flexines: Fitness Shopping: Credit Cards are Your Friends

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Fitness Shopping: Credit Cards are Your Friends

I get sick of hearing how evil credit cards are. Used wisely, credit cards can help you save money and get you some nice perks, especially when it comes to fitness.

There's my Angel Card, posing with my Xpert
My favorite perk? Freebies! Last month for my birthday Victoria's Secret sent me a $10 coupon to use online or in stores (read: free mini perfumes or dirt cheap panties). Menards gave me a coupon for a neat blade set with an LED light that I plan to use for crafting. VS is constantly sending me free panty coupons which incidentally work great for wearing under pole shorts and are comfortable for stretching.

Then there's special discounting. Stick with cards that give you free shipping and discounts at places you already shop. I always get free shipping on Target.com for using my RedCard plus 5% off. So when I find a good sports bra on clearance I don't have to worry about reaching $50 to get free shipping; I just buy that and whatever else I actually need. My Menards card gives me cash back so when I wanted a magnetic level or a set of mirrors to check my form I got an extra discount on those. If you have a regular cash back card that's a great way to get a discount on items that rarely go on sale, like Lululemon workout clothes.



Then pay it off. As soon as you get your statement pay the bill. Or if you know you will be too busy or do not want to chance it pay it off the same day you make your purchase. Most people do not realize that paying your bill in full after you get your statement builds your credit--you do not have to pay interest to build credit (although some believe paying interest builds it faster). I love using my Gmail calendar to schedule everything, including bill due dates, and letting that do all the work for me. Financial tracking sites like Mint.com can also give you helpful reminders.

Credit cards are not for everyone. A friend I worked with racked up a $10,000 debt, paid it down, and got right back in credit card debt. She avoids them like the plague. I personally pay very little interest ($0 to $10 a year against hundreds of dollars in savings on things I normally buy, cash back, and freebies) and have never paid a late fee. Know yourself and decide if you can pay it off and reap the rewards.


1 comment:

  1. Yes, credit card is my friend but not only for fitness shopping but also for any other shopping but for getting benefits from credit card you have to choose the right one. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete