I Reserve the Right to Fangirl Out | Flexines: I Reserve the Right to Fangirl Out

Monday, November 11, 2013

I Reserve the Right to Fangirl Out

Why is flattery always assumed to be fake? I was helping my husband study for his Business Interviewing class when I read that in an exchange you should not use a lot of flattery because it comes off as insincere and makes people feel uncomfortable. Well haul me off to flattery corrections! (Weekend Crush, anyone?)

Cape Flatter Trail (c) mlcastle
CC Attribution 2.0 License
I will concede that flattery can make people feel uncomfortable. I believe it should not. This is something conditioned in so many places to keep people from acting like arrogant snobs so I can understand the feeling. I liken it to the crippling need to qualify self-flattery. Women are very guilty of this--ask a woman about her best feature and you can bet she will also point out a flaw. Stop!!! You can take a compliment and you can boast about your best attributes without being snobby. It all comes down to tone and moderation. Sometimes it's okay to boast. I would even say as humans we have a need to do so.

So I try to limit my flattery. The truth of the matter is that if I tell I love how you dance or that your hair color is absolutely gorgeous, I mean it. There are certain people that I would have made my Weekend Crush several times over and mentioned in more posts if I did not hesitate to make them feel uncomfortable (like this magical goddess or my continual source of inspiration). Besides, I have a feeling I might seem like a bit of a stalker after the umpteenth time of saying how their posts light up my day. Just a little. 

I reserve the right to fangirl out

The magic of fitness and pole dance in particular is that everyday people make the best idols. People that have real jobs and real commitments to family on a real budget that manage to change to a healthy lifestyle inspire me. People with no dance background who learn lyrical pole dance inspire me. Being an everyday person is not an excuse I will ever let you use to get out of being one of my inspirations--it's part of the reason any one person would be.


4 comments:

  1. I just want to point out that I think flattery being considered fake comes from a lot of businesses that require their people to toss a compliment to the customer upon sight (having worked at a place like this I'm rather familiar to it- it's to instill instincts of friendship and familiarity and will cause people to lower their guard so they are more receptive to purchasing something). Actually, just the other day while shopping for a new conditioner one of the assistants approached me to compliment my hair (it's a very vibrant blue and I'm incredibly fond of it and compliments on it because I think it's one of the few things I rigorously maintain and take care of. ;P) but later I heard her real feelings when I passed what appeared to be the break room. I think that that is a perfect example of why most people struggle to believe compliments, so even if we stop picking on ourselves we 'script-write' that as soon as the flatterer is out of earshot they are saying the opposite simply because we are- in some degree- used to it being true.

    Never the less I love this post- enough to come out of lurking to comment- and like you I adore Kiki and love flattery. (receiving and giving) Alas, I am sad that more people don't speak from the heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. And the new "branded greetings" some places are doing? Yuck.

      I am learning to love flattery after hating it because of the same reasons you mentioned, it's sad that people always have to ruin a good thing! Thank you for lurking & commenting ♥

      Delete
  2. I have never doubted that you were genuine with everything you say. It is one of the things that that I love and admire about you Adastra! Speaking from the heart is always a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks KiKi! Sometimes I feel weird about it b/c I know so many people are fake about comments and we're all used to casting doubt on the positive ones.

      Delete