Weekend Crush: Christina Aguilera | Flexines: Weekend Crush: Christina Aguilera

Friday, November 1, 2013

Weekend Crush: Christina Aguilera

Christina Aguilar (c) Raffaele Fiorillo
CC Attribution 2.0 License
Yes, Christina Aguilera is pretty much the epitome of sexy song bird--but that's not the part of her I love. Her "Dirrty" days still make me cringe even if I am learning to love her over-the-top sexy boudoir look. But that's Christina Aguilera--always doing exactly what she loves and staying true to herself. That and belting out some ultra powerful songs. You know those songs that help you make it? The ones that keep you from falling the last few degrees down into insanity? Those are what make me adore her. Music and running kept me sane in the hardest times of my life. There is something pretty irresitistable about listening to songs that rebel against the things that make us "work a little bit harder" and gasping out "Fighter" while pounding the pavement. You just can't help but to believe in her as she belts it out--and to believe in yourself. Songs that make the best quotations like this are the ones sung as if the singer's life was poured out in them. Considering how passionate Christina is, I suspect that is exactly the case. As a fellow Latina, I love that she's representing with strength and individuality. It also helps that I got to play this song as one of the first flutes ahem... Proud band geek here. There is nothing like seeing the scoring that goes into the song for understanding it's depth.


 My ultimate, life-saving Christina Aguilera song? Hurt. I adored a few of her songs but I fell in love with the voice and passion that is Christina Aguilera when I found this song. From what I've gleaned on the interwebs she wrote it about her father's passing. I first heard it around when my aunt died about four years ago this month. The best way to tell you what she means to me is to say that if anyone in my life could be considered a mother figure for me, it was her, even though she was not related to me at all. She was the type of person that loved you with sarcastic words and said exactly what she thought. My aunt also had a hard childhood and died from complications related to cirrhosis, so when she was hospitalized and I could not cope with it I did blame her. I wonder how Christina blamed her father, or whomever it was that she sang about. That deep pain of loss and the guilt of blaming someone you love is one of those things in life I believe you have to experience to understand. Even more than that, the pain of forgiving this person but not being able to tell him or her directly... I imagine that's why Christina Aguilera sounds so passionate in this song.

 Sometimes I take the time to tempt the tears. I listen to Hurt, then Hurt the remix, and top it off with a figure skating video. Those who follow Flexines will understand exactly what that means--Sasha Cohen. Sasha always picks a song she can move expressively to; this is perfection. The footwork, Christina's strong voice... I wish these ladies would get together and perform this! One day I will do justice to the amazing voice, lyrics, and personal message in this song.





1 comment: