Weekend Crush: Steven Retchless | Flexines: Weekend Crush: Steven Retchless

Friday, September 6, 2013

Weekend Crush: Steven Retchless

I have adored Steven Retchless since very early in my pole fitness journey--and how could you not? There's the fact that he's all sorts of flexy, makes shoulder mounts look like child's play, and well, he's not so hard on the eyes. I have watched his Boston Ballroom performance countless times and the reason why comes down to how beautifully expressive he is. Yes, he has amazing flexibility and strength and that draws you in but it is the story that keeps you coming back for more. Oh and if you think I'm going to confess to how many times I've rewatched his videos... let's just say "a lot." lol

Take his remi layback, for one. The remi sit/layback is a move that can look so simple you think you can nail it, then try five million times and still be swinging belly first towards the pole. (Which is why I have reluctantly shelfed it for now). Is that just me? Maybe it's just me, lol. Anyways for those of you who have watched his
performance at Boston Ballroom (if you haven't it is included below) it absolutely ties the whole show together. Graceful. Simple--why does he have to make it looks so simple!? Along with the abilities of Anastasia and Jenyne this is one of my "grail quest" accomplishments--to one day have amazing Steven moves.

 

I take zero responsibility for this song sticking in your head today. It's funny, I hated hearing it when I first discovered this video but after awhile the lyrics sort of work everywhere. I catch myself telling my pole friends "Let me see you dance/ I love to watch you dance." Corny. Cliche. And oh well! I blame Steven for doing such a great job going along with the lyrics and the music as he climbs (around 2:30). Plus his back looks pretty amazing. Just saying. Another of my favorite parts is around 1:45 that leg switch thing he does at "Only for tonight." Must be that dance background coming out, which includes ballet, jazz, and hip hop. I have to say of the Steven styles this is my favorite.

He also does a pretty great super sexy theatrical style. There's his America's Got Talent performance to Marry the Night by Lady Gaga. I applaud how brave he was to be so much himself, especially knowing that so many people were watching him. I imagine he would be great friends with figure skater Johnny Weir, who also favors sexy drama and Lady Gaga. I wonder what pole doubles would look like with them? Pretty amazing, this should happen one day. Please, internet gods?








No comments:

Post a Comment