Weekend Crush: Steve Kamb of Nerd Fitness | Flexines: Weekend Crush: Steve Kamb of Nerd Fitness

Friday, July 26, 2013

Weekend Crush: Steve Kamb of Nerd Fitness


Nope, not free falling--that's a handstand
(c) Nerd Fitness, Used with permission
Just because you're nerdy doesn't mean you can't be in fantastic shape. Check out this handstand--Steve doesn't look like the stereotypical nerd. But a look around his site, Nerd Fitness, with its comic book fonts and video game references its unmistakably, well, nerdy.

What I really love about Nerd Fitness is that it is geared towards people of all fitness levels, including those of us that find ourselves on a journey from bookworm (that's me!) or video game junkie to fit. When I started pole fitness around September 2012 I had to make some serious changes even though I jogged for 15-20 minutes... well, every few weeks or so anyways. I found Nerd Fitness because I wanted to do some body weight exercises but really pathetically lacked the strength to do it. There I was on Google, searching for exercises for pull ups--and very discouraged to find that most people posting about pull ups assumed the reader could do them.

Enter Nerd Fitness.



This brings me to another point I enjoy--the emphasis on things that just plain old make sense. For example, Steve focuses on building progress over time and sticking to eating for the way our bodies were designed. Our bodies have hardly changed in tens of thousands of years so the paleo diet is all about eating the way we evolved to eat--eliminating processed carbs and taking in protein from lean meats. (Vegetarians, I love you and I do add vegetarian meals to my diet but I am a die-hard omnivore.) And yes, it eliminates all processed carbs--if the cave men didn't eat it, you don't. It is actually a very logical approach and the premise, that our bodies are the same as they were so long ago, has been affirmed both by my Anthropology and Nutrition textbooks. You don't count calories and don't rely on added protein or other supplements. (Last week's Weekend Crush also opposes nutritional supplements and has equally impressive fitness.) Plus, how cool is the paleo spaghetti?

Bungee--just too cool to leave out
(c) Nerd Fitness, Used with permission
Another cool thing--simplified workouts. Nerd Fitness emphasizes skipping the machines and going with free weights and body weight exercises. There are a few reasons I'm a huge fan of this. One, machines are expensive and can require a gym membership. Two, they really are not that great for building muscle. Machines tend to work muscles, rather unnaturally, in one direction and can be a crutch plus they increase the risk of injury. And three, you can get more done for your time with moves like pull ups or weighted squats since you are working multiple groups of muscles. Besides, body weight and free weight workouts are awesome, right?

(c) Nerd Fitness, Used with permission
Steve Kamb makes it all about "leveling up your life" and keeping it simple. It's his own approach to getting in shape from back in the day when he did look like the sterotypical nerd. Steve, you don't anymore! Well, maybe except for the superman-esque shirts. Very nerdy chic. In my head my leg warmers totally give me super flexy powers so I'm thinking I could justify buying one of these for handstand powers. For all you polers, I think this would be just the thing for the superman move, n'est pas?

Basically that's the magic of Nerd Fitness. It's fitness that works for those of us that are a little bit nerdy and can use some help. Bonus: they have a forum! I'm a total forum addict and I'm not even going to admit to how many I've joined. Today being the last day of my summer classes you can bet I'm joining right in. You really don't have to look at super star pole athletes or Olympians for inspiration with nerds like Steve. Comparing yourself to someone with more resources and time devoted to your goal can be very limiting. In fact, Nerd Fitness promotes focusing on every day heroes and keeping expectations realistic. (The lovely KiKi from KiKi's Pole Blog comes to mind.) It seems like a no-brainer but honestly? I think people get so wrapped up in the cool moves that so-and-so can do and then get discouraged that we can't do them ourselves. The right motivation is everything to sticking with your goals.

Just your everyday nerd heroe
(c) Nerd Fitness, Used with permission



1 comment:

  1. I love love love that you made nerd fitness one of your weekend crushes! I seriously love that guy and have bought his program and suggest it to other who are making lifestyle changes. And thanks for the hero shout out ;)

    ReplyDelete